Saturday, March 15, 2008

The New Guy!

Where to start? I guess I'll start with my the new guy in my life, New Guy. This one really gives me butterflies! I met him last Friday night when I was out with MJ at one of the laidback bars nearby. I was up at the bar trying to get drinks while MJ was using the bathroom. I struck up a conversation with New Guy since we were both having trouble getting drinks. He got us both drinks and once I got my drink, he said to me, "Don't feel obligated to stay and talk to me if you don't want to." Wow, ouch, I thought we had hit it off! I said, "Well, I don't, but if you'd like to talk more, I'll be standing right over there." So I went and stood in a less-crowded area and MJ returned. I told her what happened and she went and thanked New Guy for the drink (he paid for them). While she was gone, some drunk guy had come up and started hitting on me. I glanced to my left for a second and saw New Guy standing there with his friend and gave him one of those "rescue me" looks. He laughed and said, "I've seen that look before" and immediately rescued me from close-talking and spitting while talking, drunk guy. For the next hour and a half or so, New Guy and I talked and before he left, he got my number. He then gave me his, but I said to him, "I'll take your number, but I'm not going to call you. If you want to see me, you have to call me." He replied, "I promise I'll call you tomorrow."

He called the next day as promised. That was when we set up the date for Thursday. On Wednesday, I lost my voice. Great. He called Wednesday evening to confirm and even though I didn't have much of a voice, I picked up the phone. I immediately told him to excuse my voice, that I did not just smoke a carton of cigarettes. He laughed and said not to worry, that he doesn't sound great after playing a show with his band, so he totally understands. We ended up talking for over an hour and a half on the phone and decided to meet the next night at the bar where we met for drinks.

On Thursday at 8pm, an hour before I was supposed to meet with him, I took my temperature because I wasn't feeling too hot. 100.7F. I called my Mom and asked her what to do. Her advice: take two Advil, go on the date and just stay for an hour, it's too late to cancel. So that's what I did - I went on a date with no voice and a fever! I had such a great time though that I felt fantastic and ended up staying for three and a half hours. The conversation flowed so well, we have so much in common, it's amazing. He's the combination I look for in a guy - good-looking, funny, nerdy, tall and quick-witted. Plus, he loves 80s music and 90210!! Thing was, at the end of the date, he didn't even try to kiss me. I was shocked. But, he did ask me out on a second date, so he was still interested. I guess he didn't want to risk catching my laryngitis since he and his band are currently in the studio recording their second album. But, I was still worried since he didn't even try to kiss me or say that he wanted to.

My fears were for nothing though. He called yesterday afternoon! Wow. I really like New Guy, he doesn't play games! We ended up talking again for about an hour and a half. He told me what a great time he had the night before and couldn't believe that he had found a girl who liked talking about the same stuff he likes to talk about and that finds his nerdy side attractive. I was like, Uh, yeah! He recommended some tea that's supposed to be good for the throat that he likes and that John Mayer had recommended it to him.

Then today, as I was dozing off in bed while watching some 90210 and drinking some of that good-for-the-throat-tea, New Guy called! I didn't pick up right then, I was too groggy, but I called him back an hour later. He asked how my throat was and how I was feeling. He told me how some of his old college friends surprised him and came into town last night. Then he wanted to see if I was still up for hanging out tonight. I told him to go hang out with his college friends tonight so I could rest my voice some more and that we could hang out tomorrow instead. He said no, that he had committed to plans with me for tonight and he didn't want to break them. I told him that it was okay, that I should really rest my voice, it's truly not a big deal. He said okay, if I was sure, and then we just started chatting some more about random stuff like friends, politics, music and other stuff. We were on the phone for almost an hour and a half (again!) when I had to cut it short because I was about to have a coughing fit. I didn't want him to hear that, so I told him I was going to go make some tea.

I don't know, I really like this one so far! I'm not going to get too excited though, we all know how the "crazy" can come out if we don't keep it under control! I just think it's cool how well we get along, we can just talk and the conversation flows, there's never an awkward silence and we have so much in common, but not too much to where we're constantly in agreement.

So now I need to come up with a blog name for the New Guy... Should it be Smart Guy? Nerd Guy? Hmmm... Help me out here!

Anyways, I have a Partyboy update as well as a Security Guy update, but I'll save those for tomorrow!!

1 comment:

the infertile turtle said...

I vote you call him Brandon since he likes 90210 and he sounds like he's got Midwestern sensibilities, recommening tea for you when you're sick, etc. I wouldn't worry about the lack of a kiss after the first date -- some guys actually like to take it slow. So far, he sounds like a keeper!