Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Life Really Is a Soap Opera!

So, I guess soap operas sometimes aren't that far off from real life. But then again, I guess it depends on the soap opera. . . Sorry for my lack of posting recently, I've just been stressed out with family drama and a lot of work drama. I won't go into the family drama here, but it's nothing horrible, it's just stuff that's really frustrating and stuff that doesn't concern me directly, but I know I'll be hearing a lot about it soon and even though I've tried to help, my advice was not taken. So... that's that.

As far as work drama... From the way it seems now, it looks like I might be putting my loft on the market very very soon. Success at my job depends a lot on the geography I am assigned to work. Earlier this year, my geography changed and it now sucks. A lot. And, on top of that, my manager is really laidback. Which is great for the most part, but when you want the manager to really do something for you, like promote you or try to get goals changed for you because your geography sucks, it doesn't happen because he's so laidback. So, this means that in order for me to get a new geography and a new manager, I have to move. So.............. the big question is where do I move to?

I could possibly move to South Florida where I would be guaranteed a motivated manager who wouldn't micromanage me, but who would be proactive in getting things done and the geography I would work would be much better than the one I am currently working in. But, I'm not a fan of South Florida. I grew up down there and the people aren't very nice, I don't like the weather, and while I still have family down there, none of my friends live down there anymore. And yes, I know it's easy to make new friends, but still. Also, if I move to South Florida, what about The Swimmer? I'm not sure if he would move to South Florida and this really frustrates me. I feel like he isn't open to living anywhere but LA. Not even for a year. When I ask him about it, I usually get one of two answers, either "Maybe" or "It's too much to think about right now." The last one REALLY ticks me off and makes me want to scream and be like, "You think you're stressed out right now? Try being in my shoes! You couldn't handle it!"

Or, do I move to LA? Work-wise, nothing is guaranteed. I don't know the manager in LA and as far as the geography I would be working, I don't know if it would be better than it is here. I'm going to speak with one of my old managers this week and see if he knows about anything out in LA and if he doesn't, if he knows how to find out about the managers and geography. When it comes to The Swimmer, things are still going great, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to move in with him yet. One of my personal requirements for me moving in with him was that he would have to be seeing a therapist to deal with his issues with his father and all that stuff. That hasn't happened yet and I don't feel like him and I could be successful together like that until he starts working on his issues. I mean, he's human and he has issues, just like we all do, but he needs to be working on resolving some of those issues. I know The Swimmer and I don't have to move in together if I move out to LA, but that would be my main reason for moving to LA and I also don't think I can afford a nice one bedroom apartment in a good area alone. All I seem to be able to find online are 1 bedroom apartments for about $2000 a month. And moving in together because that's the only way it would be affordable is not a reason to move in together.

So, that's just a little bit of the stress I've been dealing with. I know I don't need to decide right this second where to move to, but it just makes it that much more stressful to know you're going to have to move and not know where you're going to move to. Oy, I really need a vacation. I'm going to LA this weekend to visit The Swimmer, but I have so much more crap to deal with this week before I go that I can't even look forward to the weekend yet.

UPDATED:

I am really just so stressed out. I'm trying to not let stuff get to me so much, but I just can't stop it. What really makes me sad is that I'm totally on edge constantly. The Swimmer will say something and I'll come so close to losing it on him and luckily, I'm able to stop myself, but it's really hard. Same thing with my Mom, she'll say something and I'll come close to snapping. I really need to get in to see The Professional, but I have someone working with me tomorrow and possibly Thursday before I go to LA. This blows.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I am so sorry you are stressed out. Hopefully a weekend with the Swimmer will help to make you feel better.

$2000 seems pretty high for a 1 bedroom. Maybe try driving around for a bit in an area you might like to live and call a couple of places that have vacancy signs to get an idea of what the prices are?

Anonymous said...

I'm in zero position to offer advice or anything like that, so consider this a friendly suggestion that may work for ya.

It seems like things with the Swimmer are still unfolding, so perhaps it's too soon to move over there. And it seems that Florida seems very undesirable for very understandable reasons. So my suggestion would be to wait it out for a little bit. If work isn't very fulfilling, maybe there's ways to be fulfilled outside of work without uprooting your whole life or fast-forwarding your relationship. It doesn't seem worth it to move to Florida and leave your friends and family, when the Swimmer scenario may very well work out great and would require yet another move.

Sometimes, in situations such as these, I find that saying "I don't know yet" is better than forcing a yes or no.

*belle